A 70-year-old male presents with left hip pain and inability to ambulate after a mechanical trip and fall. Examination demonstrates that the left lower extremity is shortened, abducted and externally rotated. Hip and pelvis x-rays are obtained (Figure 1).
Resources and References
Check out ALiEM’s SplintER Series for more can’t miss diagnoses of the hip or the AIR Series module on lower extremity emergencies
- Zuckerman JD. Hip Fracture. N Engl J Med. 1996;334(23):1519-1525. PMID: 8618608
- Parker M, Johansen A. Hip fracture. Br Med J. 2006;333(7557):27-30. PMID: 16809710
- Emmerson BR, Varacallo M, Inman D. Hip Fracture Overview. StatPearls Publishing; 2020. Accessed December 10, 2020. PMID: 32491446
- LeBlanc KE, Muncie HL Jr, LeBlanc LL. Hip fracture: diagnosis, treatment, and secondary prevention. Am Fam Physician. 2014;89(12):945-951. PMID: 25162161
- Kelly DW, Kelly BD. A novel diagnostic sign of hip fracture mechanism in ground level falls: two case reports and review of the literature. J Med Case Rep. 2012;6(1):136. PMID: 22643013
- Safran O, Goldman V, Applbaum Y, et al. Posttraumatic painful hip: sonography as a screening test for occult hip fractures. J Ultrasound Med. 2009;28(11):1447-52. doi: 10.7863/jum.2009.28.11.1447. PMID: 19854958
- Weber AE, Jacobson JA, Bedi A. A review of imaging modalities for the hip. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2013;6(3):226-234. PMID: 23784063
- Steenberg J, Møller AM. Systematic review of the effects of fascia iliaca compartment block on hip fracture patients before operation. Br J Anaesth. 2018;120(6):1368-1380. PMID: 29793602
The post SplintER Series: A Case of Hip Pain appeared first on ALiEM.