Announcing 2015-2016 ALiEM Social Media and Digital Scholarship Fellowship
We are very excited to begin the recruitment for the 2015-2016 ALiEM Social Media and Digital Scholarship Fellowship! The application process for this virtual fellowship is open as of right now to interested Emergency Medicine residents and medical students, including those who are international!
Since the blog launched in 2009, ALiEM has been a leader in the frontier of the use of social media in medical education. We are uniquely positioned as a thought leader and innovator to spear head efforts as broad ranging and sweeping such as the New Submissions Process, ALiEM-Annals Global EM Journal Club, and the ALiEM Chief Resident Incubator, to name just a few of our successes.
Last year we felt that it was important to take the next important step towards mentorship and we successfully recruited fellows, in collaboration with Council of EM Residency Directors, EM Residents Association, and American Academy of Emergency Medicine, as part of the ALiEM Social Media and Digital Scholarship Fellowships. Our fellows have successfully integrated themselves into our creative, collaborative, passionate, and often frenetic team! We are looking forward to recruiting another fellow into our fold, as we believe that this is a great opportunity for anyone who is interested in digital education, medical education, disruptive technologies, and leadership.
How is this different from our previous fellowships?
The skeletal framework is the same, but a few things differ:
- We are opening the fellowship up to medical students AND resident worldwide (not just the U.S.).
- We are hosting this fellowship ourselves to gain full autonomy of how the fellowship is run.
- We will not be formally mentoring the fellow’s independent projects.
- The fellow will not be expected to attend the 2015 ALiEM board meeting, which is held in October 2015 during the ACEP Scientific Assembly.
Goals of the social media and digital scholarship fellowship
- To gain an in-depth understanding of the workings of a medical education blog, which includes hands-on experience with WordPress, Google Analytics, Twitter, and Google Hangout
- To integrate themselves into the workflow process of ALiEM initiatives
- To role model professionalism on social media platforms
- To participate in digital scholarship
- To collaborate efficiently with an international team using digital technologies
Responsibilities of the fellow
- Serve as ALiEM liaisons to guest authors by integration into the New Submissions Process workflow
- Contact and engage primary authors of seminal publications that are discussed in blog posts for contribution to the Expert Peer Review process.
- Take leadership role by moderating at least one Google Hangout on Air recording using our YouTube channel (e.g. ALiEM book club)
- Participate in Twitter on behalf of the ALiEM team
- Participate in set, periodic virtual meetings by Google Hangout with members of the ALiEM Editorial Board
- Virtually attend the annual ALiEM Editorial Board meeting at the 2015 ACEP Scientific Assembly in Boston October 2015
- Assist ALiEM Editorial Board with any new projects, if interested
The fellowship is an unpaid, one-year position.
- Be a current EM resident or medical student during 2015-2016 academic year
- Have an active Twitter account
- Possess strong internet and word-processing skills
- Preferably native English speaking skills
- Preferably have previous strong experience with social media (although not required)
- Preferably have some medical writing, copyediting, or journalism experience
The following documents will be screened by the Fellowship Director (Dr. Nikita Joshi) and Editor in Chief (Dr. Michelle Lin), with final approval of the candidate by the ALiEM Editorial Team.
- Curriculum vitae, which includes contact information including a Twitter handle
- Letter of intent which describes your interest in the fellowship
- A document with a sample blog post on any medical topic using any platform or media (limited to 800 words). Or you can just list the URL link to the sample post in this document. This is your chance to be creative!
Upload these 3 documents in the form below.
- Application submission: June 15, 2015 at 5 pm PST
- Notification and announcement of fellow: June 29, 2015
- Start date of fellowship: July 1, 2015
Tweet Dr. Nikita Joshi at @njoshi8
The post Announcing 2015-2016 ALiEM Social Media and Digital Scholarship Fellowship appeared first on ALiEM.
Like articles like this one?
Safe& Secure Checkout