EM-RAP Educator’s Podcast: How to get promoted in academic EM
Dr. Amal Mattu gives a great 47-minute lecture on “How to Get Promoted in Academic Emergency Medicine”. Catch the podcast from the talk in July’s EM-RAP Educator’s Edition. He pulls many of the lessons from his son’s kindergarten teacher.
Getting promoted in academic EM can often be a challenge and a mysterious process. Why is it some are getting promoted faster than others? What can I do to make sure I’m on track for promotion?
It’s all about hard work AND working smart
- Learn the rules of the game. It’s about meeting deadlines and knowing what format your application for promotion should be in.
- Keep a real-time, careful CV of your accomplishments in research, teaching, and service. If you don’t, you may forget a lot.
- Get involved with medical school committees (more valued than hospital committees).
- Find teachers, coaches, and role models for yourself.
- Get to love research and writing.
- Not all publications are valued equally.
- Find an academic niche or area of expertise.
- Be a do-er and not a whiner.
- Don’t communicate with people when you are angry.
- Think national and not just local. Get out and speak at outside institutions.
There are lots more little pearls. Take a listen!
The post EM-RAP Educator’s Podcast: How to get promoted in academic EM appeared first on ALiEM.
Like articles like this one?
Safe& Secure Checkout