One word that best describes how you work?
Current mobile device
Samsung Galaxy S20
Samsung Notebook 9
What is something you are working on now?
Ultrasound Teaching Curriculum (both image review and interpretation) that can be made virtual and in very small group sessions with focused teaching and infographics.
How did you come up with this Idea/Project?
We performed a needs assessment in ultrasound learning across different divisions and specialties (IM, Anesthesia, etc) within the hospital. This didn’t just include medical students and residents/fellows, but also included attendings and faculty members with a longitudinal component to teaching. Also planning to make infographics easily referenceable on shift for quick review.
What’s your office workspace setup like?
Well since I’m a fellow, I don’t quite have an office at work. My office (and also recording space) at home consists of a custom-built desktop computer that is essentially a replica of my laptop.
What’s your best time-saving tip in the office or home?
Chunk or group together your work, especially similar tasks. If you have articles or content to review across different slack work groups, try to do it all at the same time so that you can develop a flow to your focused work. Have similar rules for work and home. For example turn off your phone notifications when “chunking”, then when you dedicate time to yourself/family/friends, also turn off your phone and be as present as possible.
What’s your best time-saving tip regarding email management?
Don’t just get your inbox to zero, have an organized system to keep everything straight. Whether that is a folder, labels, or specific inboxes, make sure you can easily find information. Also, utilize the snooze button in GMail as it helps you prioritize emails that you need to respond to but are unable to right away if viewing on your phone.
What apps do you use to keep yourself organized?
- OneNote AND Evernote (I think the former has drawing/writing features, allowing me to take handwritten notes and easily search them
- Business Calendar
How do you stay up to date with resources?
- Push specific content to me (ie. Utilize email notification system on PubMed and Journals for articles on specific topics)
- Make customized lists on Twitter following particular people and hashtags
What’s your best time-saving tip in the ED?
Count your steps and limit them when you can to ultimately see more patients and save time. Also in addition to nursing staff, make every possible effort to learn the names of the unit clerk, environmental services, and any other ancillary support staff in the ED.
ED charting: Macros or no macros?
Macros for sure. I re-read it every single time on every single patient and make sure it applies to the patient after slight modifications as needed.
What’s the best advice you’ve ever received about work, life, or being efficient?
- Double-dip when working on a project. Writing an article? Turn it into a blog post as well! Spin it into a deep discussion with an expert to also make it into a podcast.
- Find a way to make your work easily accessible on shift (with or without an internet connection), Evernote and OneNote are both great options for this.
What advice would you give other doctors who want to get started, or who are just starting out?
- Treat your staff (and patients) BETTER than you would want to be treated. Actively work to know their names and develop a working relationship with them so everyone can better help take care of patients together as a team.
- Don’t gossip or talk about others no matter how tempting it is to get pulled into the “drama”
- Be that doctor, who staff are excited to see when you come on shift and say things like “Oh Thank God it’s you…”
Is there anything else you’d like to add that might be interesting to readers?
- Make sure to have one or more hobbies outside of medicine that really push your creative boundaries. For me, it’s things like graphic design, infographics, baking cheesecakes, and artistically decorating. It’s an added bonus if others can benefit from your hobby too!
Who would you love for us to track down to answer these same questions?
- Paul Young (@DogICUma)
- Zaf Qasim (@ResusOne)
- Zack Shinar (@ZackShinar)
- Joshua Niforatos (@ReverendofDoubt)
- Shreya Trivedi (@ShreyaTrivediMD)
Read other How I Work Smarter posts, sharing efficiency tips and life advice.