Synopsis: The Coffee BeanThis simple, illustrated, hour-long read follows Abe, the semi-autobiographical protagonist, from his senior year of high school through his life arc to old age and presents the reader with a powerful metaphor for our chosen reactions to unavoidable stressors:
“Life is often like a pot of very hot water. It can be a harsh, stressful, and difficult place. You will find yourself in environments and facing conditions that test who you truly are, and can change, weaken, or harden you if you let them.”As Abe faces inevitable ups and downs throughout his life, he continues to apply the lesson he’s learned from this metaphor to positively transform his environment again and again– at times to the point of downright fantasy, but helpful nonetheless. This concept of directly confronting a problem with transformative leadership, rather than retreating in defeat or hardening oneself by eschewing compassion and humanity, is directly relevant to our practice as emergency clinicians, especially in these particularly uncertain and tumultuous times. Come join a group of your colleagues in The Leader’s Library V3 to find your approach to revolutionizing your surroundings in response to hardship!
Join usWe welcome the whole spectrum of health professions in emergency medicine, including trainees, nurses, physicians, pharmacists, paramedics, and advanced practice providers. A team of world-class educators will be facilitating an online, Slack-based group discussion of the book over a 2-day period, culminating in a live hangout with participants and facilitators. After the discussion, the Slack account will be retired and a de-identified summary will be posted on the ALiEM site.
- When: June 1-2, 2020
- Platform: Slack app
- Size: 40 registrants
- Selection criteria: Diversity of members and familiarity with Slack
- Submit your interest form
- Deadline to sign up: May 14, 2020
- We will inform you if you are selected by May 15, 2020.
- Felix Ankel, MD; Emergency Physician, Regions Hospital; Medical Director, Education HealthPartners Institute; Professor of EM, University of Minnesota Medical School (@felixankel)
- Nicole Battaglioli, MD; Assistant Professor of EM- Emory University Atlanta, GA- #EmoryProudGradyMade (@batt_doc)
- Nikita Joshi, MD; Emergency Department Medical Director, Alameda County Medical Center, Oakland, California (@njoshi8)
- Adaira Landry, MD MEd; Assistant Professor, Harvard Medical School; Assistant Program Director, Harvard Affiliated EM Residency; Academic Society Associate Director and Advisor, Harvard Medical School; Ultrasound Fellowship Director, Department of EM Brigham and Women’s Hospital (@AdairaLandryMD)
Listen to other The Leader’s Library podcasts
The post The Leader’s Library: The Coffee Bean – Open call for participants appeared first on ALiEM.